Monday, December 15, 2008

Your grandpa is a ballerina?

Nope... my grandpa is a ballerino.

Not even sure if that is a word but Lexie and I came up with it years ago. Thought is sounded right.

So one of my favorite parts about Christmas is making the trek up to utah to see Ballet West's Nutcracker. Most of you know that my Grandpa was a ballet pioneer in this country... starting the San Francisco Ballet along with Ballet West. Yep he was pretty cool. Anyways... Ballet West still performs his choreography of the Nutcracker ever Christmas. I remember going to it quite often as a child and thought it would be fun if we could get the whole family together and go again this year. Its always fun to be with my moms side of the family, especially at the Nutcracker. I never really understood how much my grandpa accomplished in his lifetime when I was growing up but it is always fun to get together and honor him and his works.

6 comments:

Amander said...

Aw, so sad I missed this! Next year, Sammy, next year.

Love your dancing history (that's why you are such a good tapper).

Lindsay Griffeth said...

Even though grandpa repeatedly told me that I was way too big to be a ballerina, I still love the man.

brinleyr said...

Ballerinos will always have a place in my heart.

Adam and Bri said...

You ARE a good tapper, Sammy. And your Grandpa was a legendary ballerino. So cool.

Nick and Lexie said...

I'm sad I missed you in Utah. And the memories that came flooding with one simple word, ballerino. I was sad I didn't see the nutcracker this year. But I did watch part of it on TV. It wasn't the same, but I got my fix.

Ali said...

Well, my posture was never good enough (if that makes you feel any better Linds). He was right...I'm a total hunchback.

Read The Christensen Brothers and you will learn all the correct ballet terms. A book club pick perhaps? You could lead that discussion and I will lend everyone my copy.